How to Open a Bank Account in Portugal
Each bank has its own forms and requirements inside of Portugal. If you’re looking to open a bank account in Portugal, you can count on between two or three forms that the prospective client must fill out. The forms (Formulários) can usually be downloaded online and handed into the nearest branch just like any other country. The applicants will have to sign the following documentation:
- AGeneral Application Form(Identificação de Títulares e Ficha de Assinaturas)
- Client Details & Adherence to Products and Services(Dados de Cliente e Adesão a Productos e Serviços)
- Acceptance of General Conditions and Terms(Condições Gerais)
EU citizens – EU Citizens Requirements for opening a bank account in Portugal
To open a bank account in Portugal the following documentation is required from an EU citizen:
- Passport or Identity Card(Passaporte/Bilhete de Identidade)
- Tax Number and card (Numero Fiscal de Contribuinte)
- Residency Card (Cartão de Residencia)
- Proof of Residence (Comprovativo de Morada em Portugal). Any document which has proof of name and address such as utility bills, driving licence
Regardless of where you come from, opening a bank account in Portugal is very standard. You must fill out the correct forms and bring them into the bank branch to proceed with your application. It’s important to understand the processes of obtaining a bank account in Portugal because you don’t want to show up and waste any of your valuable time. We strongly recommend that you call the branch and confirm that you have everything you need before you come into the branch with your filled out documentation.
Some banks require that you schedule an appointment before you come in and others just have a walk in section so make sure you do your due diligence and get what you need done before you come in.